Assignment Forum 4
Part 1 (Library Research)
Locate ONE article or book from the APUS library. You may use
any library search engine or database. You may NOT use the open web or Wikipedia. You may select any topic you wish, but I recommend picking something that is of interest to you. Tell us the topic you chose here, under Part 1.
Part 2 (Practicing MLA)
Using the source you selected, please answer the following questions.
- This is how I found my article. What you write here should help you locate the article again when/if you need to. (Example: I clicked on the APUS library link, and then I typed in “the assassination of John F. Kennedy” in the Articles and Databases search bar and hit enter. Then I checked peer-review at the left under “Refine your search.”)
- This is how the article I chose would look on a Works Cited page. Use the library’s cite button! You do not have to include the URL, but don’t forget to put the library search engine in italics and list the date of
access at the very end if applicable.
- Pick one sentence from the article you chose and write it word for word below. This is just for your information, so you don’t have to include a citation here. Please do not choose an extremely long sentence or an indirect source (i.e., another author that the author of your article references).
- Now paraphrase the sentence you chose. Read the quote, look away from it, and summarize it below in your own words. Include a parenthetical citation at the end of the sentence. Refer to the paraphrase examples under Lessons for guidance.
- Now using the exact quote from the article, include a signal phrase, the quote, and a parenthetical citation. Refer to the paraphrase examples under Lessons for guidance. Don’t forget to include quotation marks!
Note: If you do not reach the required word count, you may select an additional sentence and
complete the same questions using the second quote.
Tips for student replies: If you see any MLA citation errors, feel free to offer guidance or ask questions. Also, browse the library yourself and see if you can find additional sources about the chosen topic that might help your fellow student. List complete source information and the URL link, please. (This will be good library practice for you.)
The grading rubric for this forum is attached below.
250 words total